1. Cut your watermelon in half and scoop out the watermelon. A smaller watermelon definitely works best. If it has a little bit of a flat base so it will stand up straight even better!
2. Make your jello. I used 4 packages of the large jello packages (8 serving size) and 7 cups of boiling water. Make sure you don’t follow the water instructions on the package or the jello won’t be firm enough.
3. Pour the jello into the watermelon shell and put it in the fridge to set.
4. When the jello is partially set, poke chocolate chips in for the watermelon seeds.
5. Let the jello set until VERY firm. I ended up leaving it for about 8 hours. We were a little too ambitious on our first attempt and after 5 hours the jello wasn’t quite ready (i.e. big jello blob).
Here are the kiddies enjoying their treat:
I linked up to Simply Klassic Home.