Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day, but with all of the typical morning chaos during the week, I usually only get a chance to enjoy it on the weekends. Nothing beats a tasty, relaxing breakfast! I made up these toast and egg cups to use on our Stok grill for weekend camping trips but they can easily be made in the oven as well.
My husband is vegetarian so I love how easy these are to customize – I can still have my ham and Dave can add any extra veggies that he would like. Play around with different cheeses or add any toppings that you would normally add to an omelette – peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, green onion – they are all good! 🙂
- 12 slices of bread
- 7 eggs
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ham, cubed
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ onion chopped
- Seasoning salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (375 F if you are using your oven).
- Cut crusts off of the bread and roll bread flat (the side of a cup works well for a rolling pin if you are camping!).
- Trim bread to form a rough 4-5 inch circle to fit into the muffin tin.
- Butter each side of the bread and place in the muffin tin to form a cup, pressing the bread against the sides of the tin. Patch any holes with another small piece of buttered bread.
- Combine eggs, garlic powder, onion, seasoning salt, and pepper and beat with a whisk until frothy.
- Pour into muffin tin filling the bread cup approximately ¾ full. Add a few cubes of ham to each muffin and top with cheese. Place muffin tin over the grill, close the lid and cook for approximately 6 minutes. Rotate the muffin tin around on the grill and cook for an additional 6 minutes or until the egg centers are set. If you are making these in the oven, bake for approximately 15 minutes until egg centres are set.