I decided that I needed a little break from all of the Halloween crafting and thought I would give a cupcake liner topiary a try. I had seen this one over at Craft-O-Maniac and really liked it.
- ceramic pot
- spray paint
- cupcake liners (I used 375!!!)
- glue gun or greenery pins
- styrofoam ball and a styrofoam block to put in the pot
- stick or dowel
Overall, this was a very simple project BUT it was extremely time consuming! This lovely topiary took me much longer than expected and 2 extra trips to Michaels to purchase additional cupcake liners. I started out with 150 liners, had to go back to get another 150 (which happened to be the last ones in the store), and then had to hunt down another store for my last 75. So…here are the instructions with a few tips to cut down on the time factor! 🙂
- Start by folding up a cupcake liner and pinching it in on the bottom/center of the liner. Attach it to the styrofoam ball. I used greenery pins (placed down the center of the liner) to attach mine but, if I had realized how many I would be needing, I probably would have stuck with hot glue!
- Repeat number 1 over and over and over again! I started out placing my liners really close together because I really loved the look. Again, if I had realized how long it was going to take me, I probably would have spaced them out a bit more. Remember you can always add more later!
- When you get tired of sticking cupcake liners to your ball, take a break and paint your pot.
- Return (reluctantly) to repeating number 1 until your ball is almost completed. Insert the stick (I got mine from the backyard) or dowel into the ball and then fill in the rest of the space around it with the last of the cupcake liners.
- Depending on how heavy your ball ends up being (mine was very heavy!), you might want to weigh down your pot with some small rocks. Then add the foam block and push the stick through. I secured mine with some good ol’ duck tape just to be sure it wasn’t going anywhere.
- Fill up the pot with spanish moss or whatever topper you would like. Add a ribbon and you are FINALLY done! (sorry about the bad lighting!)
I hope I haven’t scared you all away. Really, it wasn’t that bad. I had 2 episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and an episode of Survivor on the PVR to keep me company. As for my topiary, she is now happily living in my laundry room.
I have linked up with Paisley Passions, It’s Fun To Craft, Chic on a Shoestring, A Few of My Favorite Things, Fingerprints on the Fridge, A Little Lovely, Tatertots and Jello, What Allie’s Making Now, Under the Table and Dreaming, Along for the Ride, While He Was Napping, I Heart Naptime, Craft-O-Maniac, and House of Hepworths.
Have a great weekend!