Organize Everything – Under the Kitchen Sink

A few days ago, I began my kitchen organization with the medicine cabinet.  Today I will be heading under the kitchen sink {oh what fun!}.  Before I get going though, I thought I would actually show you a couple of pictures of my kitchen.

I really, really want to paint the cabinets.  {Well, actually I would like someone else to paint the cabinets for me but that just isn’t in the budget!}  I have also been wanting to put handles on the drawers and cabinets since we moved in 9 years ago {see how dirty the cabinets get where we have to open them?}.  Oh, and I would also like a new dishwasher, new countertops….
So, yes, there are many things that I would like to change about the kitchen but, for now, my focus is just on organizing what is in it.  And that brings me back to the kitchen sink.
Like most people, our cabinets under the kitchen sink hold a large variety of cleaning products and a garbage can.  Not the most exciting {or beautiful} items in the world. Our garberator and pipes take up a lot of the space, so it can be a little bit difficult to fit everything in. But here it is!
Not pretty…but organized.  I should really paint the back of the cupboard but I just can’t be bothered.  That lovely shade of peach that you see there was the color of our WHOLE house when we moved in {along with peach baseboards, doors and a speckled peach ceiling!}  It’s kind of a reminder of all that we have done!

I would also love to get a different garbage can but this has been the only one that I could find that would fit.  See all of that plumber’s putty in there?  Well, that’s from trying to squeeze in a larger garbage can.  I think I am stuck with it.

You know what would be even better than a garbage can though?  A garbage chute!  Yes, check out this garbage and recycling chute.  I think the kids would be throwing everything in the garbage!

Okay, now back to my kitchen sink.

In an attempt to somewhat beautify the space, I added some liner to the bottom of the cupboard.  I thought the bright colors kind of cheered it up a bit!  It covers up a couple of old stains and seems to wipe down quite well.

In terms of organizing your cleaning products, remove ALL of the containers and figure out what you actually use.  Get rid of all those bottles that you don’t need and use bins to store the remaining products.  I fit all of my cleaning products and dish soaps into one plastic bin form the dollar store and purchased a pull out drawer to store sponges, scrub brushes, etc.  The top of the drawer nicely provides a little extra storage.

About a year ago, I started to switch over to more green cleaning and have really cut down on the amount of chemical cleaners that I use.  I would say 80% of my kitchen cleaning is now done with water and my Norwex Antibacterial Enviro or Window cloths.  I still have some Mr Clean cloths and multi-purpose cleaner left but I haven’t purchased any new kitchen cleaning products in well over a year.

{Sorry, I should have emptied the garbage first!}

If you need a little extra storage, you can always add some more storage to your cupboard doors.  I just have a towel rack mounted on mine but I found some other great ones at Stacks and Stacks.

{I actually wanted to buy these ones.  They were only about $4 but shipping was $25 to Canada.  BOO!}

Anyways, I hope that gives you some ideas for organizing under your sink.  I am off to organize the fridge next!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Nice kitchen!!! Way to go!!! I just saw those fancy flower hanger things at Winners here in Calgary yesterday…I hope you can find some!!!

Hi wtfMartha! I tried to respond to your questions but your email is set to noreply and there is no access on your profile. Hopefully you check back here! The liner is actually from KMart. It was about $5 per roll but ended up being buy one get one free.

Hey Jenn! Thanks for the great organizing tips. You have inspired me – alot! You wouldn’t want to see beneath my kitchen sink! lol! Ok….note to self…”Organize beneath sink on Saturday!” :)

xoxo laurie

The best for kitchen countertops because no food particles can gather in the seams, posing a serious health issue. Flooring for the kitchen can be changed in your remodeling project as well, although this can be one of the most expensive portions of a remodeling project.

I’ve been forced into organizing under my kitchen sink today due to a leak in the plumbing last night :( Anyway I’ve been looking for a bit of inspiration before I tackle the collection of cleaners (plenty of duplicates – oops!) etc now sitting on my countertop. I think “get rid of all those bottles that you don’t need” is my top priority. Then I need to dig out some command hooks to use the back of the door space in a more efficient way. PS I think your kitchen’s lovely as it is!

Wow, love your blog! I aspire to be organized as I am probably the least organized person I know! Thank you for inspiring me!

Angela
    Fort Myers, FL

Organization need not be pretty all the time, darling. :] With the case of the cabinet under the kitchen sink, it’s perfectly acceptable. Ha-ha! As long as the cleaning materials are well-kept from the reach of children, I guess everything is fine. :]

Lara Bathurst

We all want to have a clean and germ-free household and learning the right way to tidy things up is helpful. Unfortunately, maintaining its cleanliness can be a challenge and so learning the right way of getting rid of stains and dirt can be very helpful to us. It may be troublesome for others, but cleaning the house is a task that we should prioritize in order to keep germs and diseases away.

Regular cleaning is really essential in preserving a home because this will help in preventing damages. In line with this, organizing things is also a must-do because this will not only add aesthetic value but will also prevent possible accidents from slipping or accidental use of corrosive chemicals. These tips you have shared are indeed very useful, to home owners and cleaning companies Phoenix alike. Several homeowners will absolutely learn from this.