Valentine’s Day Handprint Art

There is always something about my children’s hand prints that captures my heart.  If they can’t stay little forever at least I can preserve their cute little hands.  So…I came up with this Valentine’s Day handprint art canvas to remind my favorite little Valentines that they will always have my heart!

Sweet Valentine's Day handprint canvas!
Sometimes it is the simplest of projects that ends up being our favorite. :)
Materials
  • a canvas {mine is 12×16 }
  • paint and foam brush
  • painter’s tape
  • scrapbook paper {mine is from Echo Park}
  • vinyl letters.  I used black flocked vinyl and cut them out on the Silhouette {and the font is My Own Topher if anyone was wondering!}.  If you don’t have access to a Cricut or Silhouette you can always use stencils and paint.
  • ribbon
  • any other embellishments you would like. I added the a felt heart key and the little pink letter stickers are from Echo Park as well.
Directions
  • Paint your canvas starting with the lighter color.  Once it is dry, mark off a border on the front of the canvas with painter’s tape.  Paint the sides of the canvas and the border with a darker paint.
Valentine's Day handprint canvas.
  • Stamp your kids’ hand prints in the top right corner.  I painted the paint right onto their hands so I could be sure there was even coverage {well as much as possible anyways!}  I did Connor’s left hand and Matthew’s right hand.  Wash the kids’ hands!!!
  • Using the Silhouette, cut out the letters and a paper heart {I downloaded mine from the Silhouette site}.
  • Using double sided tape, add a strip of ribbon along the bottom of the canvas.  Position the vinyl letters and heart over your canvas and adhere.  I thought mine looked a little plain so I added the felt key and the pink letters for hands and heart.
And now I LOVE it!!! {I just need a few other little goodies to add to the shelf!}
Sweet Valentine's Day handprint canvas!

Comments

I love this idea and I will be borrowing it this weekend!! It is a great reminder of how quickly they grown up!

xoxo
    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

WOW, this is so beautiful!! Such a sweet decoration to keep up after Valentines Day!

Visitng from Fingerprints on the Fridge, I am a new follower:)

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I just wish my kids were little again so I could make one! Somehow, I don’t think it would be the same with a 20 year old and 17 year old handprints..LOL! I wonder if I could modify it some way to do at school with my second graders….hmmmmm….

Hey Jenn, Im so happy to have come across your blog. I was chatting with Donna about it last night. Im off to snoop around…You are one crafty gal too!!
    I love this craft you did with your boys….

From your new follower Lindsay aka Crafty Chic Mommy

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! It’s saved on my favorites so I can make it when baby #2 comes. Just darling. Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays! Featuring this tomorrow.

How sweet and what a very special keepsake with the perfect sentiment on it!

PS: Thanks for sharing the font, I am a bit of a font junkie and whenever I see a project with a cute one I always want to know which one was used:)

oh i love these! wonder if i can get my 7 & 9 year old to go along and do this with me! i have to!!
    i just found your blog by way of whiperberry. i can’t wait to explore your blog some more!

This is fantastic! I’m in the middle of doing 3, but am finding that my vinyl is not sticking well at all to my painted (acrylic) canvas. Do you have any tips or suggestions?

Catherine – I didn’t have any problems with mine not sticking. Are you using the transfer paper? I always use a credit card pushed as tightly up against the edge of the transfer paper (on the opposite side than the vinyl)as I am peeling it off. Kind of difficult to describe so I hope that makes sense! I also rub the edge of the credit card over the transfer paper quite firmly before I even start to peel. Let me know if that helps!

Hi Laura,
    Hopefully you will get this as your email is set to No Reply. I used basic acrylic paint from the dollar store. I found that it worked best if I painted the kids’ hands first so the paint was evenly distributed. Have fun with yours!
    Jenn :)

11. Anonymous says

What a cute idea! I’ve been trying to do a piece of art with my kiddo’s handprints for each holiday and this will definitely be my Valentine’s Day inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
    Jen

12. Anonymous says

I do not have vinyl letters so I will be stenciling them. I am just wondering what would be the best way to adhere the paper heart? Thought of modpodge but I am not sure if it would discolor the canvas. Any suggestions.

Hi Anonymous! Hopefully you get this as there is no email to contact you at. I just adhered mine with quick grip glue (at Michaels). I don’t think mod podge would really discolor the canvas but there is always a slight glossiness associated with it. Hope that helps!