Our Reading Nook

Well, my friends, the reading nook is finally completed!!!  I was really supposed to start working on this area about a year ago but kept procrastinating {mostly because I just couldn’t figure out what to do!}  Sometimes, there can be just too much inspiration out there and it kind of causes decorating paralysis.  Does anyone else experience this or is it just me?

So… I finally just decided that something was better than nothing and went for it!

Such a cute reading nook space! // cleanandscentsible.com
I started with making some easy envelope pillow cases and then added some rain gutter bookshelves.

The bookshelves make it so much easier for the kids to pick out {AND put back!} their books.  I also really like the bins at the bottom for quick and easy clean up.   We have a lot of books so I plan on rotating the books from some of our other bookshelves into this space and have arranged all of our seasonal and themed books in sections.

I added the chalkboard vinyl {purchased from Superstore} to record our favorite books.  I also bought these photo frames from Superstore to hold some of the kids’ drawings of books we have read.  The pictures load from the top so the frames don’t need to be taking down every time we switch out the photos.

Reading-Nook

On the other side, I put up this magnetic board that we had lying around from Ikea and bought the little bin below it {also from Ikea} to hold Connor’s magnetic letters for the Word Whammer.  It lost its home last year when we replaced our fridge with stainless steel and has been looking for a place to live ever since.  I seriously think that this has been one of the best educational toys that we have purchased. Both of the boys learned all of the letters and their sounds with this fun {but annoying toy!}  Connor is now using it to learn to spell {I’m not quite sure what FMB spells… I guess we have a little work to do}

The quilt was made by my sister-in-law when Connor was born and we have had lots of use out of it!

{Wasn’t he a cute baby? I love this picture!!!}

I found the shelf with the quilt bar at Winners for $15 and knew it would be perfect for the space.  The letters are just paper mache covered with some scrapbooking paper.

So hopefully this little space will help to instill a love of reading for the boys.  It is also well used for Star Wars Jedi training.

So it may not look picture perfect, but it is done, functional, and the kids love it!  And I always love crossing something off my To Do list.

I think I might need to grab a book or two and curl up in here as well.

If you would like to join in this week’s link party, come on over and share your projects here.

Have a great day!

I linked up with Inspired by Charm, Oopsey Daisy, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, It’s Overflowing, At the Picket Fence, Crafty Scrappy HappyThe Shabby Creek CottageSomewhat Simple, Delightful Order, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Today’s Creative BlogHome Stories A to Z, A Bowl Full of LemonsCraft-O-Maniac, Under the Table and Dreaming, CRAFT, Simply Klassic Home, I Heart Naptime, Funky Junk Interiors, Lolly Jane, WhipperberryKitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Tidy Mom, Chic on a Shoestring, Gluesticks and The 36th Avenue.

Photobucket

Comments

What a fun little area for the kiddos! We actually have a reading “nook” too, but there isn’t nearly as many things as you do. Great job! and thanks for hosting the linky party! :)

That nook is amazing! I hope when I get over my “decorating paralysis” in my main bathroom it will look half as amazing as this!!

Turned out great. That little spot is amazing, I so want one in my future home. Makes me wanna curl up in there. Perfect spot for you to hide from everyone! lol

This is absolutely beautiful. You are never to young to hold a book in your hand and the earlier you can get your children to love to read the better. What a beautiful place to let their imaginations get lost in the pages.

What a cute little window seat turned reading nook! Such a great use of space. My favorite part is definitely the drawing of The Lorax… adorable!

I WANT A READING NOOK! For me that is. Okay, the baby can have one too. What a wonderful thing to give to your children. I so wish I had one of these when I was a kid. Stop by and check out my daughters room in the Home Tour I posted last week. Cheers, MGal watchmediy.com

The space looks great! I’m so guilty of thinking everything has to be perfect the first go around instead of just doing it.

And those boys are pretty darn cute.

I’m visiting from A Bowl Full of Lemons linky party. I hope that you can stop by my blog as well. :)

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

8. Anonymous says

What an adorable reading nook! (And Jedi Training Area – both equally important!) :) I would love to curl up with my kids in a spot like that!

Hi Jenn. I’m your newest follower. I found you through your feature on Simply Klassic Home. I’m loving your blog! And you’re in Canada too. I live in Calgary. I’ll have to check Superstore for those chalkboard vinyls.

Hope you’re having a great weekend! Stop by sometime and say hi. =)

~ Catie

What a fun little space! My hometown library had a little reading nook like this in a bay window and I fondly remember many hours sitting there, reading in the sun… good times!

Love this!! We have rain gutter shelves too, and love them. LOVE the boxes you have below the shelves.. where did you get those?? I NEED those!!!! Love this post!!!

12. Andrea says

Love this! Do you remember where you got the bins for the board books and such below the shelves? Thanks for the inspiration!!