Pebble Boot Tray

It has been a very wet winter around here {with a few short-lived snow falls thrown in!}.  Mr. Weatherman has not been very popular and there are still about 10 more days of rain in the forecast.  Two boys with wet boots and hardwood floors don’t really go together too well and our poor floor is really taking a beating!  I have been on the lookout for a nice boot tray for a while and finally came across one that fit all my criteria – stylish, functional, and easy to do!

So here is my boot tray already in action:

Pebble Boot Tray - stylish, functional, and SO easy to do!
MATERIALS
  • black rubber tray {purchased from the dollar store}
  • river rocks {most of these were also purchased from the dollar store with a few taken from my backyard!}
  • Quick Grip glue
Pebble Boot Tray - stylish, functional and SO easy to do!
 Start arranging the rocks in small sections until you get the pattern you like {it is kind of like fitting some puzzle pieces together!}
Pebble Boot Tray - stylish, functional, and SO easy to do!
Now if you really want this project to be simple, you can just fill up the tray and leave it at that.  I know my boys, however, and a tray full of loose rocks would be too tempting for them {can you say DISASTER??}.  I can only imagine where these rocks would end up!  Soooo…I opted to glue all of my rocks down.  It did take a while to do {1 Gray’s Anatomy + 1/2 a Biggest Loser} but it was well worth it in my opinion.

DIY Pebble Boot Tray - stylish, functional and so easy to do!

Now with a little training, the boys’ boots should make it to the tray {it is right beside the front door} and the puddles should stay off the floor!  Not bad for about $5!

Comments

This is gorgeous! I love the look of this and it’s so functional too. I think glueing them down is the way to go because then in the spring (when it’s all gross and mucky) you can take the whole thing outside and spray it down with the hose. :)

Oh, my gosh, you are my HERO. Why, WHY didn’t I think of gluing them down??? I wanted to do this so badly, but I knew it would be the stupidest decision I’ve ever made with two three year olds running around, let alone a baby who would try to eat them… GLUE! GLUE! I’m totally doing it.
    Thanks. :)

I just came over from Craft Goodies and discovered that you live down the highway from my sister in Agassiz! You’ve had a LOT of rain this winter! (from my Calgary point of view anyways) Anyway, my boys are adults and i think I still should glue the rocks down. My laminate suffers every winter with the wet, though ours is snow. Thanks for the tutorial, I too wouldn’t have thought of glueing them down.

Sophia, if you can’t find any at the dollar stores I have seen them at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well (I think they were at least $10 though). I’m not sure where you live, but if you are in Canada they also have them at Superstore. I’m sure Target would carry something like this too? Good luck!

What a great idea…and it looks nice too! I have seen the idea of using river rocks for summer foot baths, but I never thought to use them in a boot tray. Thanks for the inspiration.

cute idea, I know what you mean about the rocks everywhere. We used to have a serenity fountain with pebbles and stones in it which has now been packed away until the kids can understand that they aren’t for touching!!!

7. Anonymous says

Great idea, Jenn! Love it. Maybe I can help you do the growth chart and you can help me lay these rocks out…..? – Jen M.

8. Anonymous says

This wld also work (and be a good idea) used in those plastic round drip pans you use for under plants! Very earthy and nature looking indoors or out! =)

I Love this! I found you via The Shabby Chic Cottage’s Idea files.

Where did you find a rubber tray?? I’m very interested in making a couple of these!

I love this idea and without even reading the post I knew I already seen the tray at my local dollar store and the rocks would be there or I could always pick up at Walmart, again without reading the post yet I thought they were just laid in the tray and when I’m store I was looking at the rocks thinking my bad beagle would get these and make a mess or swollow them and cost me big money lol so I thought maybe I should glue them down and be safe it’s so funny I finally read the whole post and seen you decided to do the same thing I love your blog and plan or adding this to my blog at charmcitycreativedesigns.wordpress.com and a mention of your bl

11. Crafty-design says

I absolutely love this idea so I tried it but everytime I move it to clean the floor the tray bends slightly and the rocks come unglued, any suggestions on how I could fix this?

I found this via your top organization posts. This would make an awesome house warming gift! I got these trays free after a mail in rebate a few months ago and now I know what I am using them for!! I know this is old, but I would love this or your referring post linked up at my blog party: Pin Me Linky Party

I think your river rock projects may have been one I saw on Pinterest that inspired the Michigan State trivet I made of river rocks as a gift.

It didn’t photograph well with my old cell phone, but here’s a pic and directions if anyone’s interested.http://giftsgatheringsandgusto.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-gift-that-rocks-michigan-state-trivet.html.

I didn’t expect it to turn out as great as it did, I was really happy with the results! Thank you for the inspiration!

14. Sheila says

Jenn, what a beautiful idea. We love nature, so this is right down our alley. We have the rocks and the tray, so I will be doing this project real soon as soon as I can get a minute. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sheila